A fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damages to a Watertown home early Jan. 18.

Watertown Fire Department received a call at 12:57 a.m. for an active fire with smoke and flames at 923 Labaree St., according to fire officials. The first arriving unit reported the fire was coming from the second story and the on-scene crews were able to knock down the fire from the exterior and get inside to put the fire out.

According to officials, there were no injuries to the residents or firefighters. The source of the fire was determined to be electrical and fire damage was estimated at about $60,000, according to fire officials.

The incident was upgraded to a box alarm, which brought in additional fire and EMS units and the command staff to the scene. There were no working smoke detectors in the home, according to officials.

According to officials, the Watertown Fire Department was assisted on the scene by Ixonia, Lake Mills, Johnson Creek, Waterloo and Clyman. Western Lakes and Lebanon Fire Department provided coverage at the station during this incident.

According to Watertown Fire Chief Kraig Biefeld, weather was a factor in the response time by the department and others during the call, but was not significant in fighting the blaze. Biefeld said the department was “stretched thin” due to a 12:30 a.m. call at Bayberry Drive for a property that needed to be evacuated after flooding due to a broken pipe and an EMS call shortly after the fire at 1:12 a.m. Biefeld also said the fire had begun on the first floor of the residence before units arrived when it had gotten to the second floor.One occupant was awoken by the sound of the fire and the occupants were able to get out of the house safely and go to a neighbor’s house during the fire, according to officials. Officials said, the family of three has been displaced by the fire and is being assisted by the Red Cross.

In response to a Facebook post by the Watertown Fire Department on the incident, a Facebook user named Sera St John commented, “The team was very nice, they were able to save some of the family heirlooms. Scary night but as equally as an amazing team.”

“Given what happened we’re handling it well. Obviously still shaken up, but good,” St. John told the Daily Times via Facebook. “The police were able to house the three cats that were saved that night in their heated garage Kennel (we left with two they found one). The firemen were able to take out some furniture so it didn’t get damaged and after were able to get needed medication that wasn’t damaged. The police got a hold of Red Cross for us and we were able to stay in a motel for a couple nights. Red Cross is helping with clothes and personal things.”

According to online Dodge County records the home is owned by Nena M. Winchell.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.