Fourteen out of 17 Rock County schools (82%) serving high school students in the 2018-19 school year participated in the Youth Risk Behavior Survey. The health and wellness surveillance tool was developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and administered by Wisconsin's Department of Public Instruction every two years. Ten Rock County schools met or exceeded the minimum 50% school-level response rate, which was one criterion for generating county-level data.

Across the county, the average school-level response rate was 64%.

Participating high schools included:

Craig, Parker, Evansville, Clinton, Rock River Charter School, Milton, Edgerton, TAGOS Leadership Academy-Tailoring Academics to Guide our Students, Beloit Memorial, Beloit Turner, Beloit Learning Academy, ARISE Virtual Academy, Rock University, and Youth Services Center.

A total of 5,022 usable responses were collected from the 14 participating schools listed above. This represented 60% of public high school students in the county.

Preliminary Rock County results

Seat belt use

Most of the time or always wear a seat belt: 86%

Texting and driving

Drivers who texted or emailed while driving (past 30 days): 43%

School safety

Most of the time or always feel safe at school: 78%

Agree or strongly agree that violence is a problem at their school: 22%

In a fight at school and/or threatened with a weapon at school: 14% overall, 10% female, 19% male

Drugs at school 

Were offered, sold or given drugs on school property in the past 12 months: 14%

Attended school under the influence of alcohol or drugs (past 12 months): 11%

Bullying

Experienced bullying at school during the past 12 months: 22% overall, 25% female, 19% male

Bullied online: 18% overall, 23% female, 13% male

Agree or strongly agree bullying is a problem at their school: 42% overall, 52% female, 31% male

Mental health

Experienced significant problems with anxiety: 50% overall, 64% female, 37% male

Experienced prolonged, disruptive sadness: 32% overall, 41% female, 23% male

Intentionally self-harmed without intending to die: 20% overall, 26% female, 13% male

Seriously considered suicide: 17% overall, 22% female, 13% male

Made a plan for a suicide attempt: 14% overall, 17% female, 11% male

Sexual Behavior

Percent who have ever had sexual intercourse: 36% overall and same for female and male, 17% 9th grade, 52% 12th grade

Percent who had sexual intercourse in the past 3 months: 26% overall, 27% female, 25% male, 11% 9th grade, 40% 12th grade

Vaping

Used vaping products in the past 30 days: 20% overall, 11% 9th grade, 30% 12th grade

Ever tried vaping: 45% overall, 34% 9th grade, 56% 12th grade

Used cigarettes, chew, cigars or cigarillos in the past 30 days: 9% overall, 5% 9th grade, 14% 12th grade

Percentage of vapers or other tobacco users who tried to quit in the past 12 months: 43% overall

Drinking

Had at least one drink in the past 30 days: 27% overall, 21% 9th grade, 36% 12th grade

Drugs

Used marijuana in the past 30 days: 19%

Misused over-the-counter and/or prescription pain medicines: 14% 

Screentime

Spent three or more hours a day on phone, Xbox or other device: 44%

Use technology between midnight at 5 a.m. on school nights: 56%

Sent, received or shared nude photos or sexual images (past 30 days): 23%

Physical health and nutrition

Reported sleeping 8 or more hours per night: 24%

Reported sleeping 5 hours or fewer per night: 21%

Exercised zero days: 20%

Exercised 4-7 days in past week: 52% overall, 44% female, 61% male, 57% 9th grade, 44% 12th grade

Ate fruit every day (past 7 days): 42%

Ate vegetables every day (past 7 days): 39%

Drank plain water every day (past 7 days): 76%

Ate breakfast every day: 31%

Experienced sports-induced concussions (past 12 months): 16%

Asthma: 20%

Trauma and adversity

Experienced rape, sexual assault or intimate partner violence: 25% overall, 36% female, 14% male

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.