It’s hard to look at a loss as a positive, but the Milton High boys hockey team is hoping a 4-0 loss to DeForest propels it in the right direction.

After a pair of double-digit, shutout losses to Kettle Moraine and Madison Edgweood, the Red Hawks saw improvement in their Tuesday loss at DeForest. However, the three losses dropped Milton’s record to 0-6 this season, including an 0-1 mark in the Badger South Conference.

The Red Hawks host Oregon at 7 p.m. on Monday.


The Red Hawks were outshot 39-3 as the Kettle Moraine/Mukwonago/Oconomowoc co-op cruised to victory on Saturday at the Naga-Waukee Ice Arena in Delafield.

KMMO’s Ben Morse scored three goals in the first period as the home team led 4-0 after one. KMMO scored three goals in each of the final two periods, including a shorthanded goal in the third period, to pull away.

Junior Justin Burke finished with 29 saves in goal for the Red Hawks.

KMMO totaled six minutes on three penalties, while Milton had just one penalty for two minutes.


Four players had at least two goals, including a hat trick from Bryce Ternus, on Monday as the Crusaders cruised by the Red Hawks at LaBahn Arena on the University of Wisconsin campus.

Edgewood scored five goals in the first and four in the second to pull away. All but one of the Crusaders’ goals was even-strength, with the other being on a power play.

The Red Hawks spent four minutes on two infractions in the penalty box, while the Crusaders had eight penalties for 16 minutes.

Burke saved 40-of-52 Edgewood shots on goal. Milton compiled 15.


The Red Hawks showed great improvement on the road on Tuesday, but still came away on the losing end.

“Tonight’s difference had to do with fixing some offensive zone problems on the forecheck and backcheck,” head coach Dennis Quinn said. “We have taken Logan Servin off of forward and moved him to help out on the back end. We played two and a half periods of hockey and it showed in a big way. A couple small technique tweaks still need to be made. We missed a lot of opportunities tonight and failed to capitalize on the power plays.”

Thanks to a solid game from Burke in the net, the Red Hawks held DeForest to just one goal through the first two periods. The Norskies scored three more in the third period to put the game away.

“There was a fluke goal at the end, so it really should have been a 3-0 game,” Quinn said. “Burke played great. He focused before the game and carried it over to pregame and then the game. As we have talked, preparation is important. He prepared tonight and it showed.”

Burke finished with 48 saves. Milton finished with 18 shots on goal (six in each period). The Red Hawks had six penalties while the Norskies had five.

“We took a step in the right direction and as I have said before, we won’t get a true look at Milton hockey until we move closer to the middle of December when the guys who were out early in the season get their game legs back,” Quinn said. “Guys like Nick Robinson, Logan Servin and Logan Conway deserve some recognition for their play tonight. Our leadership started to lead, something we haven’t had until tonight.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.