Firefighters from McFarland, Cottage Grove and Stoughton responded to a fire in a detached garage in the 2800 block of Door Creek Road in the Town of Pleasant Springs around 5:28 p.m. Sunday.
According to the Dane County Sheriff’s Office, the home’s residents were safely outside and the detached garage was fully engulfed in flames when deputies arrived. Door Creek Road, between Highway MN and Koshkonong Road, was closed for about one hour until the fire was safely extinguished.
The initial investigation points to the homeowner’s unattended charcoal grill that was just inside the garage. The detached garage was a total loss. The estimated value of the damage is believed to be more than $5,000.
No injuries were incurred, and no pets were harmed.