The Cambridge News and Deerfield Independent has taken home six awards in the Wisconsin Newspaper Association’s 2019 Better Newspaper Contest. The awards include:
• First Place Environmental Reporting Award, Karyn Saemann and Madeline Westberg, for “Up Creek.”
• First Place Localized National Story, Madeline Westberg, for “Prepped: Cambridge forms its first girls BSA troop.”
• Second Place General News Photo, Karyn Saemann, for “Flame On.”
• Third Place Local Column, Karyn Saemann, for “Like Linda.”
• Honorable Mention Editorial Special Section, Madeline Westberg, Karyn Saemann and Jon Wright, for “2019 Summer Arts Guide.”
• Honorable Mention Editorial Award, Karyn Saemann, for “Governor’s veto rightly leaves quarries in local control.”
Saemann has been the newspaper’s managing editor since December 2016. Westberg has been its associate editor since October 2018.