While facade reconstruction work was underway June 1 at First Community Bank of Milton, 202 Merchant Row, members of a construction crew with Sockness Builders, Inc, Milton, uncovered a tin sign from a former clothing and shoe store. A new business, Highlander Laundry, followed the clothing store in 1969. 

The C.B. Strassburg store was, according to its sign, the "Headquarters for Lee Overalls."

The store was originally owned by Julius H. Strassburg, who purchased the former post office building, using it initially, according to earlier signage, as a "Harness Shop." 

Julius died in 1954. His son, Chester, took over the business, running it until he chose instead to operate a laundromat. In 1969, he placed plywood over the clothing store's tin sign, where it rested until June 3, when workers removed it for preservation purposes.  

Following are photos of the sign, some history, and ongoing facade work at the bank. 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.